About The Old Blues RFC
Christ's Hospital was founded by King Edward VI in 1553 as a hospital for orphans in Newgate Street, London. It soon developed its own school which is still known as the Blue Coat School - after its distinctive uniform of long blue coats and yellow stockings. Former scholars of Christ's Hospital had been known as 'Old Blues' since the earliest times, and so, when some former pupils got together in 1873 to form a Christ's Hospital Old Boys Rugby Football Club, they name it 'The Old Blues RFC.'
The club was founded by J.Wingfield and a few others in 1873. Wingfield became the first Club Chairman, H.A.Hall (later to become the Archdeacon of Rippon) the first Captain and Canon G.C.Bell (the Headmaster of Christ's Hospital School) became the first Club President. Read more...
View full size version