Welcome to the Old Blues Rugby Football Club - Founded 1873


Latest Match Reports from The Old Blues RFC

28 Sep 15 - Old Blues 1s 23 V Old Guildfordians 1s 27

Old Blues 1s 23 V Old Guildfordians 1s 27

Blues travelled down the A3 to OG’s to play the first game of the season with on paper a very strong team. An excellent pre-season coupled with some new recruits there was anticipation that the year was going to be our year. However, some of the usual demons were at play in what turned out to be a costly frustrating day.

A pre match where we discussed the gradient of the slope more commonly associated with alp duez and long grass reminiscent of the Savannah, the blues kicked off uphill aiming to contain the Guildfordians team. A trigger happy referee saw the blues rewarded to some slick interhands with the forwards that Jack Beaman slotted to open up the blues account. However, for the next 20 minutes this was as good as it got. With high pressure at the scrum and an unwillingness to learn the referees interpretation of the breakdown, we saw ourselves camped in our 22 for a long while. Although the defence was good, the penalties were killing us. Guildfordians doing a great job of 8 man rugby rumbled over to score a try which was converted. Similar mistakes from the blues then saw us concede 2 more penalties to see us down 13-3 after 30 minutes.

However as the going was getting tough a quick tap from Calvin Williams fed Ed Moberly who’s audacious chip over the fullback/prop collecting to go over in the corner was fantastic and gave the blues a real impetus going into the break. However just before the whistle went, the OG’s 10 broke the line who fed the inside centre who managed to score a try despite the efforts of Mark Davey in the situation breaking a rib and having to go off. 20-11 at the break.

The blues started with similar mistakes however with the hill we had more of a chance. An early rumble up the right side of the pitch allowed Tom Eaton to go over in the corner. Further punishment was being taken at scrum time and our third try was something special as a turnover on our 5m line resulted in Jack Beaman dummying a few players to get to the half way line where David Adeniji was on hand to kick ahead. However in the process of trying to get the touch down was unceremoniously taken out with the referee awarding a penalty try. Nick Antonelli adding the extras. 23-20 and the blues were in the lead again.

The next 10 minutes was all blues and where the game should have been won with a bonus point. Nick Antonelli distributing well (passing – not water bottles in the first half which he was abysmal at) to John Larkin. Making yards with a 2 on 1 fed David Adeniji who raced away to the try line. However the referee though he saw a forward pass and alas the try went begging. Further pressure on their line still brought no reward so the sucker punch came with 5 minutes to go, in typical OG fashion, driving a maul over for another try. 27-23 and the blues had minutes to get the next try. The best endeavours on the forwards led by Calvin Williams ended in despair as Alex Satterfield was held up inches short of the try line in what would have been an undeserved win.

Allez les Blues,


28 Sep 15 - Chipstead 2nd XV 64 OLD BLUES 2nd XV 19

Chipstead 2nd XV 64 OLD BLUES 2nd XV 19

New season and a new approach from the 2’s turning up with over an hour until the kick off with nearly a full team. Some things didn’t change, mainly Eric’s mastermind knowledge of all transport queries and the fact we only fielded 14 at Kick off.

Chipstead got us underway and from a nice loopy kick off, Blues showed ferocious intensity letting the ball bounce and roll around a bit before picking it up and starting to play. Not long into the game, Chipstead showed their tactics for the match with their rotund 12 consistently taking the crash ball and cutting back into towards the pack. Despite coming under some early pressure Blue’s defended well. A 50 Stone front 3 of Eric, Colin and Bres, absolutely hammered an early Chipstead scrum sending them backwards despite the fact we were 1 short. With LD consistently firing in accurate throws from the lineout, the whole forward pack looked solid and more than matched the Chipstead boys. Our bright start was nearly rewarded after the backs pinged the ball down the line unleashing Hurricane Rothwell up the right wing, with some excellent support play and offloads from the Badger and the rest of the backs, our 40 yard break nearly resulted in a try and left the crowd nursing semi’s. Excellent gain line play from Wardman sent Josh crashing through leaving Chipstead in his wake scoring the first try of the season.

Having had an excellent 20 minutes, Blues were looking good until injuries came with the scores about level. In one play we lost Tom, the new 9 brought in while Walker finds himself in Zambia, and also Big Jon at second row. This was a big loss having both made great starts to the game. Steele came in from the wing and stepped up to the mark at 9, Chipstead gave us one of their ageing units and we were off again. Unfortunately, with the extended break and re-shuffle, we lost our early structure and rhythm. With tackles on the cannon ball 12 now going in too high we conceded a few tries, heads went down a bit and by Half Time we were a few scores down. Rory Ward turned up for the 2nd half which was nice. Cheers Rory. Unfortunately this didn’t stop the injuries. Dennis, having been mistaken for member of the Dutch national Cycling Team during the off season, couldn’t go on at flanker after a good first half, forcing a swap with Rothwell. Blue’s had a few sloppy offloads and some missed tackles leading to break away tries, their kicker having a good game adding the extra’s.

2’s continued to battle on though leading to some close moments, a good run and some support play nearly led to Tim scoring a try before dropping the ball on the line. Another good break from Josh, this time down the outside, including a casual goose step, led to our 2nd try. Before adding to the injury list and also needing to come off, Josh delivered a text book example of Hat trick avoidance. Another good 10-12 crash with Wardman led to Josh breaking clear with less than 22 yards to the try line. With nothing but clear Surrey air in his way and worried about what could be in store, the leg suddenly pulled up out with a girly scream for good measure. A good offload however led to Wardman finishing the move and securing the 3rd try. The whistle went, 64-19, and Dennis was eager to tell us what time it was. Man of the Match – Sam Hall for a solid all round game, covering a lot of ground and winning good line out ball.

Allez les Blues,